Wed, May 30, 2018
A partnership between Marshall Medical and the Red Cross will help adolescents learn to babysit safely in a two-day course for youth aged 11 and up on June 7 and 8. The deadline to register is Monday, June 4.
Youngsters will be trained how to:
• Supervise children and infants.
• Perform basic child-care skills such as diapering and feeding.
• Choose safe, age-appropriate games and toys.
• Handle bedtime and discipline issues.
• Identify safety hazards and prevent injuries.
• Care for common injuries and emergencies such as choking, burns, cuts and bee stings.
• Communicate effectively with parents.
• Find and interview for babysitting jobs.
• Learn and become certified in Child and Infant CPR.
Susan Tully of Citizens Bank & Trust enrolled her daughter, Kate, in Babysitter’s Bootcamp a few years ago.
“It was an excellent class,” Tully said. “Kate became CPR certified and learned many child safety tips. She gained confidence and knowledge which gave us peace of mind when she was babysitting for her younger brother as well as other children.”
The course is fun and fast-paced with hands-on activities, exciting videos, role-playing and lively discussions. Teens and pre-teens will learn to be the best babysitters on the block. Plus, they’ll gain the confidence to make smart decisions and stay safe in any babysitting situation.
Students also receive take-home materials to help them stay prepared, including:
• Babysitter’s Training Handbook—full-color handbook filled with great information and resources to use in class and on the job.
• Babysitter’s Training Emergency Reference Guide—this easy-to-carry, compact booklet provides step-by-step instructions to handle common emergencies.
• Babysitter’s Training CD-ROM—provides tools to run your babysitting business, including a babysitting organizer, a printable activity booklet with games, crafts, songs and recipes, plus a resume template.
• Certification in Child and Infant CPR
The $99 course fee is a 20 percent discount off the regular rate, and includes lunch and snacks both days. The fee can be paid on the morning of the first day in check or cash, or in advance with debit/credit cards at the information desk at either Marshall North or South.
Hours are 9am-3 pm on Thursday and 9am-1:30pm on Friday. Location is in the classroom of the Marshall Professional Center next door to Marshall Cancer Care Center, just south of Cracker Barrel on U.S. Highway 431. For more information call, (256) 571-8018. To register, call (256)571-8000. Deadline is Monday, June 4.
Revenue generated from Red Cross programs helps with disaster relief in the community.